Thursday, October 22, 2020

Ritual and Rites - The little Prince


The next day the little prince returned.

"It would have been better to return at the same time the," fox said. "For instance, if you come at four in the afternoon, I'll begin to be happy by three. The closer it gets to four, the happier I'll feel. By four I'll be all excited and worried: I'll discover what it costs to be happy! But if you come at any old time, I'll never know when I should prepare my heart . . . There must be rites."

What's a rite?" asked the little prince.

"That's another thing that's been to often neglected," said the fox. "It's the fact that one day is different from the other days, one hour from the other hours. My hunters, for example, have a rite. They dance with the village girls on thursdays. SO Thursday's a wonderful day: I can take a stroll all the way to the vineyards. If the hunters danced whenever they chose, the days would be all just alike, and I'd have no holiday at all.


The Little Prince  Antoine de Saint-Exupery translated Richard Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Please live a life of Joy today.

Search This Blog