Sunday, July 26, 2020

Adam and Eve - Curt Thompson md


Anatomy of the Soul - Curt Thompson md

One wonders how the story would have unfolded differently in the Garden had Eve and Adam, instead of hiding, been more attentive to their fear, more willing to turn toward their own shame. What if, when God sought him out, Adam had said, “Here I am, over here! And I’m in quite a state. I feel really bad about this . . . and in fact it terrifies me to tell you what I’m about to say, and I’m really, really embarrassed. As you can see, wearing these rather odd, um . . . clothes, I believe?” “Yes, I see. Go on,” God might have replied. “Well, the tree you said I couldn’t eat from, well, Eve, well . . . that’s not important. I mean, I know you probably have to talk with her about her part in this, but let me just say . . . I ate from the tree. Okay, there. I said it. I blew it. I hate that snake, but it’s my fault. I’m really sorry. “I know Eve may be in big trouble too, but really, don’t take it out on her. Just do with me what you will. . . .” Who’s to say God’s response would not have been, “Well done. I know it’s been painful for you to take responsibility for your and her behavior. But well, well done. Now there is more for you to learn. . . .” Although this is an imagined outcome, it reflects how we are encouraged to embrace confession. Epistle writers of the New Testament go further. In his first letter, the apostle John writes, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 JOHN 1:9) John does not write, “If you confess your sins and then ask God to forgive you, he will.” There is no middle step. It is as if forgiveness fills the room, waiting for us, and confession merely opens our hearts to receive its flood of relief, joy, and freedom. God is not waiting for us to grovel. He’s not into groveling. He does not need or want us to remain in the shame of our sin (though some of us live as if this were the case). Shame merely gets our attention—if we are alert. However, God does wait for us to be real about our shame so he can meet us in it and then rewrite our narratives. Given that God is the author of forgiveness, can we assume that confession should be made to God alone? John neither says that nor, I think, does he imply it. There is a reason for this. It is in the physical, bodily sensations of being mindfully mentalized that we sense, experience, and truly internalize forgiveness. It is not enough simply to hear the words or take in the fact that we are forgiven. That would

Anatomy of the Soul Curt Thompson md

- forgiveness,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Please live a life of Joy today.

Search This Blog