Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Funding the Work of God Pg194

Numbers 18:21-24 -21- "To the Levites I have given every tithe in Israel for an inheritance, in return for their service that they do, their service in the tent of meeting, -22- so that the people of Israel do not come near the tent of meeting, lest they bear sin and die. -23- But the Levites shall do the service of the tent of meeting, and they shall bear their iniquity. It shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations, and among the people of Israel they shall have no inheritance. -24- For the tithe of the people of Israel, which they present as a contribution to the LORD, I have given to the Levites for an inheritance. Therefore I have said of them that they shall have no inheritance among the people of Israel." Numbers 8:14 -14- "Thus you shall separate the Levites from among the people of Israel, and the Levites shall be mine. Luke 8:1-3 Women Accompanying Jesus -8:1- Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him, -2- and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, -3- and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's household manager, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their means. 1 Corinthians 9:1-18 Paul Surrenders His Rights -9:1- Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are not you my workmanship in the Lord? -2- If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you, for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord. -3- This is my defense to those who would examine me. -4- Do we not have the right to eat and drink? -5- Do we not have the right to take along a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas? -6- Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working for a living? -7- Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock without getting some of the milk? -8- Do I say these things on human authority? Does not the Law say the same? -9- For it is written in the Law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain." Is it for oxen that God is concerned? -10- Does he not speak entirely for our sake? It was written for our sake, because the plowman should plow in hope and the thresher thresh in hope of sharing in the crop. -11- If we have sown spiritual things among you, is it too much if we reap material things from you? -12- If others share this rightful claim on you, do not we even more? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ. -13- Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings? -14- In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel. -15- But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting. -16- For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! -17- For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship. -18- What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. Philippians 4:10-20 God's Provision -10- I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. -11- Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. -12- I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. -13- I can do all things through him who strengthens me. -14- Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. -15- And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. -16- Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. -17- Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. -18- I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. -19- And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. -20- To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. Acts 18:1-5 Paul in Corinth -18:1- After this Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. -2- And he found a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to leave Rome. And he went to see them, -3- and because he was of the same trade he stayed with them and worked, for they were tentmakers by trade. -4- And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and tried to persuade Jews and Greeks. -5- When Silas and Timothy arrived from Macedonia, Paul was occupied with the word, testifying to the Jews that the Christ was Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 2:9 -9- For you remember, brothers, our labor and toil: we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, while we proclaimed to you the gospel of God. Acts 20:33-35 -33- I coveted no one's silver or gold or apparel. -34- You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my necessities and to those who were with me. -35- In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" 2 Thessalonians 3:6-12 Warning Against Idleness -6- Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us. -7- For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, -8- nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you. -9- It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate. -10- For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. -11- For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. -12- Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living. Romans 15:20-24 -20- and thus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation, -21- but as it is written, "Those who have never been told of him will see, and those who have never heard will understand." Paul's Plan to Visit Rome -22- This is the reason why I have so often been hindered from coming to you. -23- But now, since I no longer have any room for work in these regions, and since I have longed for many years to come to you, -24- I hope to see you in passing as I go to Spain, and to be helped on my journey there by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a while. 2 Corinthians 1:16 -16- I wanted to visit you on my way to Macedonia, and to come back to you from Macedonia and have you send me on my way to Judea. 1 Corinthians 16:5-6 Plans for Travel -5- I will visit you after passing through Macedonia, for I intend to pass through Macedonia, -6- and perhaps I will stay with you or even spend the winter, so that you may help me on my journey, wherever I go. 1 Kings 17:1-16 Elijah Predicts a Drought -17:1- Now Elijah the Tishbite, of Tishbe in Gilead, said to Ahab, "As the LORD the God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, there shall be neither dew nor rain these years, except by my word." -2- And the word of the LORD came to him, -3- "Depart from here and turn eastward and hide yourself by the brook Cherith, which is east of the Jordan. -4- You shall drink from the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there." -5- So he went and did according to the word of the LORD. He went and lived by the brook Cherith that is east of the Jordan. -6- And the ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning, and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the brook. -7- And after a while the brook dried up, because there was no rain in the land. The Widow of Zarephath -8- Then the word of the LORD came to him, -9- "Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there. Behold, I have commanded a widow there to feed you." -10- So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, a widow was there gathering sticks. And he called to her and said, "Bring me a little water in a vessel, that I may drink." -11- And as she was going to bring it, he called to her and said, "Bring me a morsel of bread in your hand." -12- And she said, "As the LORD your God lives, I have nothing baked, only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. And now I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it and die." -13- And Elijah said to her, "Do not fear; go and do as you have said. But first make me a little cake of it and bring it to me, and afterward make something for yourself and your son. -14- For thus says the LORD the God of Israel, 'The jar of flour shall not be spent, and the jug of oil shall not be empty, until the day that the LORD sends rain upon the earth.'" -15- And she went and did as Elijah said. And she and he and her household ate for many days. -16- The jar of flour was not spent, neither did the jug of oil become empty, according to the word of the LORD that he spoke by Elijah. Galatians 6:6 -6- One who is taught the word must share all good things with the one who teaches. Romans 15:20-24 -20- and thus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation, -21- but as it is written, "Those who have never been told of him will see, and those who have never heard will understand." Paul's Plan to Visit Rome -22- This is the reason why I have so often been hindered from coming to you. -23- But now, since I no longer have any room for work in these regions, and since I have longed for many years to come to you, -24- I hope to see you in passing as I go to Spain, and to be helped on my journey there by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a while. 3 John 1:5 Support and Opposition -5- Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, 3 John 1:6 -6- who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a manner worthy of God. 3 John 1:7 -7- For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. 3 John 1:8 -8- Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth. 2 Corinthians 12:13 -13- For in what were you less favored than the rest of the churches, except that I myself did not burden you? Forgive me this wrong! Matthew 10:5-15 Jesus Sends Out the Twelve Apostles -5- These twelve Jesus sent out, instructing them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles and enter no town of the Samaritans, -6- but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. -7- And proclaim as you go, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' -8- Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay. -9- Acquire no gold nor silver nor copper for your belts, -10- no bag for your journey, nor two tunics nor sandals nor a staff, for the laborer deserves his food. -11- And whatever town or village you enter, find out who is worthy in it and stay there until you depart. -12- As you enter the house, greet it. -13- And if the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it, but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. -14- And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. -15- Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. Romans 15:27 -27- They were pleased to do it, and indeed they owe it to them. For if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material blessings. The Holy Bible, English Standard Version copyright (c)2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. http://www.crosswaybibles.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Please live a life of Joy today.

Search This Blog