Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Funding the Work Of God - page 192 Bible Study

Romans 15:20-24 -20- and thus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation, -21- but as it is written, "Those who have never been told of him will see, and those who have never heard will understand." Paul's Plan to Visit Rome -22- This is the reason why I have so often been hindered from coming to you. -23- But now, since I no longer have any room for work in these regions, and since I have longed for many years to come to you, -24- I hope to see you in passing as I go to Spain, and to be helped on my journey there by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a while. 2 Corinthians 1:16 -16- I wanted to visit you on my way to Macedonia, and to come back to you from Macedonia and have you send me on my way to Judea. 1 Corinthians 16:6 -6- and perhaps I will stay with you or even spend the winter, so that you may help me on my journey, wherever I go. Philemon Greeting -1:1- Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, To Philemon our beloved fellow worker -2- and Apphia our sister and Archippus our fellow soldier, and the church in your house: -3- Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Philemon's Love and Faith -4- I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers, -5- because I hear of your love and of the faith that you have toward the Lord Jesus and all the saints, -6- and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ. -7- For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you. Paul's Plea for Onesimus -8- Accordingly, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do what is required, -9- yet for love's sake I prefer to appeal to you--I, Paul, an old man and now a prisoner also for Christ Jesus-- -10- I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I became in my imprisonment. -11- (Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful to you and to me.) -12- I am sending him back to you, sending my very heart. -13- I would have been glad to keep him with me, in order that he might serve me on your behalf during my imprisonment for the gospel, -14- but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will. -15- For this perhaps is why he was parted from you for a while, that you might have him back forever, -16- no longer as a slave but more than a slave, as a beloved brother--especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. -17- So if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would receive me. -18- If he has wronged you at all, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. -19- I, Paul, write this with my own hand: I will repay it--to say nothing of your owing me even your own self. -20- Yes, brother, I want some benefit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ. -21- Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. -22- At the same time, repare a guest room for me, for I am hoping that through your prayers I will be graciously given to you. Final Greetings -23- Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends greetings to you, -24- and so do Mark, ristarchus, Demas, and Luke, my fellow workers. -25- The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Titus 3:14 -14-And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful. 2 Corinthians 8 & 9 Encouragement to Give Generously -8:1- We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia, -2- for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part. -3- For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own free will, -4- begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints-- -5- and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us. -6- Accordingly, we urged Titus that as he had started, so he should complete among you this act of grace. -7- But as you excel in everything-- in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you--see that you excel in this act of grace also. -8- I say this not as a command, but to prove by the earnestness of others that your love also is genuine. -9- For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich. -10- And in this matter I give my judgment: this benefits you, who a year ago started not only to do this work but also to desire to do it. -11- So now finish doing it as well, so that your readiness in desiring it may be matched by your completing it out of what you have. -12- For if the readiness is there, it is acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what he does not have. -13- I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened, but that as a matter of fairness -14- your abundance at the present time should supply their need, so that their abundance may supply your need, that there may be fairness. -15- As it is written, "Whoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack." Commendation of Titus -16- But thanks be to God, who put into the heart of Titus the same earnest care I have for you. -17- For he not only accepted our appeal, but being himself very earnest he is going to you of his own accord. -18- With him we are sending the brother who is famous among all the churches for his preaching of the gospel. -19- And not only that, but he has been appointed by the churches to travel with us as we carry out this act of grace that is being ministered by us, for the glory of the Lord himself and to show our good will. -20- We take this course so that no one should blame us about this generous gift that is being administered by us, -21- for we aim at what is honorable not only in the Lord's sight but also in the sight of man. -22- And with them we are sending our brother whom we have often tested and found earnest in many matters, but who is now more earnest than ever because of his great confidence in you. -23- As for Titus, he is my partner and fellow worker for your benefit. And as for our brothers, they are messengers of the churches, the glory of Christ. -24- So give proof before the churches of your love and of our boasting about you to these men. The Collection for Christians in Jerusalem -9:1- Now it is superfluous for me to write to you about the ministry for the saints, -2- for I know your readiness, of which I boast about you to the people of Macedonia, saying that Achaia has been ready since last year. And your zeal has stirred up most of them. -3- But I am sending the brothers so that our boasting about you may not prove vain in this matter, so that you may be ready, as I said you would be. -4- Otherwise, if some Macedonians come with me and find that you are not ready, we would be humiliated--to say nothing of you--for being so confident. -5- So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for the gift you have promised, so that it may be ready as a willing gift, not as an exaction. The Cheerful Giver -6- The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. -7- Each one must give as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. -8- And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. -9- As it is written, "He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever." -10- He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. -11- You will be enriched in every way for all your generosity, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. -12- For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. -13- By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission flowing from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others, -14- while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you. -15- Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift! 1 Corinthians 16:1-5 The Collection for the Saints -16:1- Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. -2- On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come. -3- And when I arrive, I will send those whom you accredit by letter to carry your gift to Jerusalem. -4- If it seems advisable that I should go also, they will accompany me. Plans for Travel -5- I will visit you after passing through Macedonia, for I intend to pass through Macedonia, 3 John 1:5-8 Support and Opposition -5- Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, -6- who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a manner worthy of God. -7- For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. -8- Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth. Romans 15:25-29 -25- At present, however, I am going to Jerusalem bringing aid to the saints. -26- For macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make some contribution for the poor among the saints at Jerusalem. -27- They were pleased to do it, and indeed they owe it to them. For if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material blessings. -28- When therefore I have completed this and have delivered to them what has been collected, I will leave for Spain by way of you. -29- I know that when I come to you I will come in the fullness of the blessing of Christ. Nehemiah 13:10-13 -10- I also found out that the portions of the Levites had not been given to them, so that the Levites and the singers, who did the work, had fled each to his field. -11- So I confronted the officials and said, "Why is the house of God forsaken?" And I gathered them together and set them in their stations. -12- Then all Judah brought the tithe of the grain, wine, and oil into the storehouses. -13- And I appointed as treasurers over the storehouses Shelemiah the priest, Zadok the scribe, and Pedaiah of the Levites, and as their assistant Hanan the son of Zaccur, son of Mattaniah, for they were considered reliable, and their duty was to distribute to their brothers. Acts 11:27-30 -27- Now in these days prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. -28- And one of them named Agabus stood up and foretold by the Spirit that there would be a great famine over all the world (this took place in the days of Claudius). -29- So the disciples determined, everyone according to his ability, to send relief to the brothers living in Judea. -30- And they did so, sending it to the elders by the hand of Barnabas and Saul. Philippians 4:10-20 God's Provision -10- I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. -11- Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. -12- I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. -13- I can do all things through him who strengthens me. -14- Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. -15- And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. -16- Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. -17- Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. -18- I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. -19- And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. -20- To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. 1 Kings 17:1-7 Elijah Predicts a Drought -17:1- Now Elijah the Tishbite, of Tishbe in Gilead, said to Ahab, "As the LORD the God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, there shall be neither dew nor rain these years, except by my word." -2- And the word of the LORD came to him, -3- "Depart from here and turn eastward and hide yourself by the brook Cherith, which is east of the Jordan. -4- You shall drink from the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there." -5- So he went and did according to the word of the LORD. He went and lived by the brook Cherith that is east of the Jordan. -6- And the ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning, and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the brook. -7- And after a while the brook dried up, because there was no rain in the land. The Holy Bible, English Standard Version copyright (c)2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. http://www.crosswaybibles.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Please live a life of Joy today.

Search This Blog